Sober Living environments or houses are living places for is generally referred to alcohol and drug dependence that provide a place between a rehabilitation center or residential treatment center to either home or a new life in a community. They have their roots in California and are generally not licensed by the state. The Sober Living Network (SLN) is a wonderful place to start.
The essential characteristics include:
- An alcohol and drug free living environment for individuals attempting to abstain from alcohol and drugs
- No formal treatment services but either mandated or strongly encouraged attendance at 12-step self-help groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- Required compliance with house rules such as maintaining abstinence, paying rent and other fees, participating in house chores and attending house meetings
- Resident responsibility for financing rent and other costs
- An invitation for residents to stay in the house as long as they wish provided they comply with house rules.