Dorm Parent | NH
28 Patey Cir.
Rindge, NH 03461
Posted on July 20, 2023
Hampshire Country School (HCS) is a one-of-a-kind school for twice-exceptional boys who need a place to discover possibilities despite characteristics and behaviors that have limited their success and access in traditional school settings. Through the power of lightheartedness, understanding, structure, and a family-style environment, our students experience growth, self-fulfillment, and the power of humanistic relationships over the average three years they spend at HCS. Situated on two thousand acres in rural New Hampshire, our campus is an outdoors person’s dream.
Dorm Parents generally work five days a week (four weekdays and one weekend day) from after school through the end of breakfast the next day. Their role at Hampshire Country School has two equally important foundations: create a family-style living space in the dorm, and lead activities with a strong educational foundation, fun, and opportunities for social connection. Dorm parents may be the first to recognize growth spurts both physical and developmental, they offer refuge on challenging days, and they help students learn to speak up for themselves and become better caregivers of our learning community.
School year contract from late August through mid June. Summer session work available. Housing, utilities, and most meals provided. Competitive salary and benefits including certifications and continuing education.
45% – Dorm Parents have the primary responsibility to create and manage a family-style living space in the dorm and at meals. By stepping into our students’ “home away from home” dorm parents serve as an important caregiver getting to know every student in our small school community.
45% – Lead activities with a strong educational foundation. These will typically be evening or weekend opportunities to engage fun, curiosity, movement, and confidence.
10% – Individual student support through one-on-one sponsorship of interests, projects, and unique needs. The “magic” of HCS is knowing the adults around you are almost always able to stop and help foster your interests and self-advocacy.
In carrying out their duties, the Relief Dorm Parent also:
- Aligns with school Mission, Vision, and Program.
- Engages with students and builds positive relationships.
- Participates in meals and community life in addition to job responsibilities.
Commitments, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A commitment to students’ dignity and their whole learning process.
- A commitment to the method of lightheartedness, understanding, structure, and compassion.
- A commitment to experiential, outdoor, and adventure based learning.
- Have the ability to manage a number of competing demands and triage what needs attention first.
- Resilience and creativity.
- Familiarity with challenging students and difficult behaviors.
- Being flexible and adapting to changing circumstances.
- Being willing and able to exercise judgment and take risks.
- Residential experience in an academic, therapeutic or camp setting.
- A bachelor’s degree in child development, outdoor leadership, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to pass a comprehensive physical and background check (Required).
To seek more information or apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume or CV to email@example.com. Position will be open until filled.
Hampshire Country School (HCS) is a 10 month boarding school in southern New Hampshire for high-ability, neurodiverse boys enrolling in later elementary or middle school. HCS offers understanding, light-heartedness, and structure to educate boys in a family-style, supportive, and collaborative learning community. For more information: http://www.hampshirecountryschool.org
Hampshire Country School is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Hampshire Country School is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.
401(k), Life Insurance