64 Gap Creek Rd
Zirconia, NC 28790
On-Site & Remote
Posted on November 6, 2023
Talisman Camps provides specialized camp experiences for young people ages 6 to 22 with autism spectrum disorders, ADHD and/or other learning differences. Since 1980, our ACA-accredited summer camp programs have delivered exceptional programming for exceptional children in a traditional camp environment. Our activities are designed to increase confidence, promote responsibility, and enhance communication and social skills. We teach problem-solving and conflict resolution through group discussions, modeling, and practice. Our highly-structured schedule and supportive staff provide a safe environment in which to build friendships and independence. Most of all, our campers have fun!
Talisman is based in the beautiful Foothills region of Western North Carolina, teeming with endless recreational opportunities, award winning adventure activities, and abundant culinary experiences all within 40 minutes of Asheville, NC.
We are looking for a dynamic Executive Director with a deep commitment to creating meaningful camp opportunities for young people with ADHD and Autism, their families, and teams of dedicated staff. The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of Talisman, providing leadership and oversight of the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The ED serves as Talisman’s primary spokesperson and representative. The ED hires and supervises the year-round administrative team, maintains financial viability, and ensures adherence to policies and procedures, laws and regulations, accreditation standards, and best practices.
Reports to: Board of Directors
- Please include a copy of your cover letter with your application.
Skills and Abilities
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Able to envision and convey Talisman’s strategic future to staff, board, families, and donors.
- Strong inspirational and growth-oriented leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Understanding of the funding community and excellent donor relations skills.
- Excellent organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including public speaking.
- Strategic financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Strong work ethic and high degree of energy.
Salary and Benefits
- $60,000-$75,000 per year, based on qualifications.
- Health insurance
- Paid Vacation (20 days per year)
- Paid Holidays (12 per year)
- Off season – Monday to Friday, hybrid remote and in-person in Zirconia, NC.
- Summer season – on site most of the summer. 6-7 day weeks may be required based on program needs.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Talisman Camp is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Talisman Camps makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Essential Job Functions
1) Provide Leadership to the organization.
- Work closely with the Board, effectively communicating all necessary information.
- Lead Talisman in a manner that holds central the vision, mission, and values as defined by the Board.
- Represent Talisman as primary spokesperson to stakeholders, the media, and the general public.
2) Work with board and staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Develop strategic plans with board and staff in support of the mission.
- Implement plans and programs that carry out the mission.
- Enhance Talisman’s image by being active and visible in the community.
3) Ensure financial performance and viability.
- Oversee finances, ensuring fiscal integrity.
- Provide board with quarterly financial statements which accurately reflect Talisman’s financial condition.
- Present an annual proposed budget that supports the mission and strategic goals of Talisman.
- Lead fundraising, grant procurement, and other resource acquisition to support the mission.
4) Oversee Operations
- Hire, supervise, and retain a qualified and effective staff team.
- Oversee the administration of all operations.
- Represent Talisman in official business, signing all agreements entered into on behalf of Talisman.
- Establish and maintain policies and procedures for all operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, Master’s preferred.
- 5+ years of nonprofit or camp management experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience working with special needs, preferably autism and ADHD.
- Experience and skill working with a Board of Directors.
- History of successfully improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience.
- Working knowledge of computer software, word processing, and database operations
- Must be able to complete & clear a MVR, Criminal, and National Sex Offender background check, and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Physical ability to assist campers in case of emergency (injury, illness, evacuation, fire, etc.)
- Strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to carry a backpack that is ⅓ of your weight and occasionally lift and move items of up to 30+ pounds.
- Ability to work outside on your feet for up to 12 hours a day.
- Often working outside in all weather.
- Ability to drive and travel for long distances.
Health Insurance, Paid time off