Field Instructor | Dahlonega, Georgia
First Light is currently seeking applicants for Full-Time, Part-Time and Seasonal Wilderness Field Instructors in Dahlonega, Georgia. First Light Wilderness ensures a safe and therapeutic milieu in a wilderness context for our groups of 12-18-year-old students. Wilderness instructors are responsible for co-leading groups of up to 10 students on backpacking, kayaking and other outdoor expeditions and will work an 8-day-on/ 6-day-off schedule in the northern Georgia wilderness. Instructors are in charge of the day-to-day facilitation of programming to include: supervision and safety, curriculum facilitation, teaching wilderness skills, risk management, and working hand in hand with the First Light Clinical and Program leadership teams.
Wilderness Instructors must:
- Be at least 21 years old and have a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, with 1-year minimum experience OR have a high school diploma/GED and a minimum of 3 years of experience working in the adventure or outdoor field with at-risk youth or comparable experience, or
- Must be able to work a rotation that includes 8 days straight in the wilderness, to be followed by 6 days off.
- Excellent leadership, communication and problem solving skills.
- Must possess and maintain current First Aid / CPR certification (WFR preferred)
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ lbs for extended timeframes
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Background investigation
- Must hold a valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Must pass a post-employment medical physical examination.
First Light Wilderness is an EOE and actively seeks diverse applicants. We offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as a $1000 sign-on bonus and $500 recruitment bonus.
Co-leading groups of up to 10 students.
Facilitation of therapeutic/adventure programming
Collaboration with FLW Clinical/Program leadership
21 years old with BS/BA degree in a related field
Minimum 1 year experience working w/ at-risk youth