All Kinds of News for September 14, 2016
At ViewPoint Center, clinical services are tailored to each individual client's specific needs. Diabetic counseling, which helps patients struggling with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, is one of many diverse Nursing Services carried out by on-campus Registered Nurses.
Goals of Diabetic Counseling Services
According to Jessinna Nielson, Nursing Supervisor at ViewPoint Center, the overall goals of diabetic counseling services at ViewPoint Center:
- Help the patient become better educated regarding the role diabetes plays in their treatment and overall health.
- Educate the patient regarding optimal food choices to promote responsible Diabetic care.
- Encourage hygiene techniques to facilitate healing and physical health maintenance.
- Evaluate the patient's ability to self-monitor and care for glucose levels.
- Emulate understanding regarding living with a Chronic Disease and help to teach the patient to gain physical and emotional control over the diabetes diagnosis.
How do Diabetic Counseling Services at ViewPoint Center work?
Upon admissions, every patient recieves a History & Physical evaluation within 24 hours. If the patient has been previously diagnosed with Diabetes, a consultation with a Registered Dietitian is ordered. Our very experienced RD meets individually with the patient and discusses lifestyle food choices and the relationship between blood sugar, food and physical health.
Within 3 days of admissions, ViewPoint Center's Nursing Supervisor meets with each Diabetic patient and evaluates their comfort level regarding glocose monitoring, carb counting, insulin scales, and overall understanding of Diabetes. Diabetic education is then given, documented, and followed up on as needed.
ViewPoint Center encourages Diabetic patients to accept their diabetes diagnosis but to not let it define them as an individual. An emphasis is placed on encouraging the diabetic patient to make confident lifestyle decisions and to live healthy, productive lives despite living with diabetes.
About ViewPoint Center
ViewPoint Center, a mental health hospital for teens ages 12-18, is located just outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. With the program lasting 6-7 weeks, ViewPoint provides superior assessment, diagnosis, treatment and stabilization for struggling teens. Many teens at ViewPoint struggle with mental and behavioral issues such as suicidal ideation, anxiety disorder and eating disorders. In a safe, personalized environment, ViewPoint helps teens focus on the healing process.