The Five Core Principles include:
1. Healthy Living
- Mental, emotional, and spiritual health
- Physical care and exercise
- Relationships / social interactions
- Developing skills, interests, and hobbies
- High school or college academics
- Vocational / career skills
3. Life Skills
- Financial (budgeting, balancing check book, saving)
- Daily Living (chores, cleaning, hygiene, etc)
- Time management
- Job searching skills
4. Personal Responsibility
- Task completion
- Planning and time management
- Keeping commitments
5. Social Integration
- Positive recreational activities
- Community service
- Healthy socialization & group activities
Each individual student’s progress is based on these goals, and is reviewed by the treatment team every other week in treatment team meetings. As each student progresses she is able to demonstrate increased levels of responsibility and effective decision making. With progress, the student also earns higher levels of trust which is combined with increased privileges and levels of freedom.
Successful completion of a student’s established goals are indicators that a student is ready to return home.
About the Journey HomeJourney Home West established in Layton, UT in 2008 after noticing there were limited options for our clients from Solstice RTC West needing a step down community based option. Serving all females aged 16-21 and providing structure for students while they learn independent living skills. Much of structure and support provided by our 24/7 staffed home is managing electronic devices, managing free time and social life appropriately, and budgeting, shopping for groceries, and cooking meals. Clients enrolling at Journey Home have a previous therapeutic placement, where home was not an option afterward. They are provided with a therapist in the home to work on individual and family issues.