All Kinds of News for March 06, 2019
Waterfall Canyon Academy is opening an Adult Residential Program on March 1, 2019.
Our Adult Residential Program provides a safe, predictable, structured setting within the community for up to 6 young adult males. Our young adult student profile encompasses the following characteristics:
- Difficulty navigating social situations
- Lacking social and daily living skills
- Mild to moderate intellectual disability
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Specific learning disorders
- Challenges with executive functioning and processing
- Low self-esteem
- Emotional DysregulationAdoption issues
- Family conflict
More specifically our Adult Residential Program was designed for students who:
- Have aged out of a teen residential program and are not ready for a community based transition program
- Would benefit from the structure of a residential program with a focus on community integration
- Have not graduated from high school
While in the Young Adult Residential Program, students live in a home in the community. Community access is an integral part of our program. Participating in physical, cultural, and social events and activities while at Waterfall Canyon Academy helps students learn to use their community as a resource and navigate it safely and successfully.
A four step program encourages advancement and guides student progress in the areas of communication, social relationships, executive functioning skills, self-confidence and self-reliance. Students will focus on improving social and daily living skills, managing emotions, controlling behaviors, and forming habits that will lead them to a less restrictive environment.
Waterfall Canyon Academy offers the following services:
- Weekly individual therapy sessions
- Weekly family therapy sessions
- Group therapy sessions twice each week
- Academic services provided by Waterfall Canyon’s Oakgrove School
- Social and daily living skills classes
- Medication Management
Waterfall Canyon Academy students and their families participate in the following assessments providing data to determine student achievements and program efficacy:
- Youth Outcomes Questionnaires (Monthly)
- Scholastic Math and Reading Assessment (Quarterly)
- Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test (Yearly)
- Oakgrove School Behavior Intervention Data (Daily)
- Classroom Assessments
Waterfall Canyon Academy is a community based therapeutic program that offers a continuum of care and services. Our continuum starts with a highly structured Residential Program and progresses toward Transitional Living, Advanced Transitional Living, and Support Services. The goal for students in this program is to progress through our continuum.